Sunday, October 14, 2018

Fall Fun at The Original Farmers Market

We don't really have a lot of fall. Fall in California just means it cools down at night. However, we do have some fun fall festivities around the area. Today, we went to the Fall Festival at The Original Farmers Market in Los Angeles. Let me start off by saying that The Original Farmers Market is one of our family’s most favorite places in Los Angeles. We go often and walk up and down the aisle’s of permanent food places. We often find ourselves buying produce for the week or stocking up on meat from Huntington Meats (which buy the way, the last time I checked, was peanut free (this only pertains to the meat itself)).  We then go to its neighboring mall, The Grove, to walk around.



You can feel the history of the farmers market as you walk through it, some of the vendors have been there since 1934 when the market started! While I’ve loved and eaten at quite a few of the places, I somehow always end up back at my favorite, Charlie’s, which serves up diner food. It’s so delicious and everyone who works there is really nice! I’ve heard rumors that even Walt Disney had hung out there (though I’m not sure how true it is!).



I could go on forever about my love for The Original Farmers Market but let’s get back to the topic at hand. The Fall Festival. There was so much to do!  A petting zoo, beer garden, piggy races and more. We started off watching the pig races, they were so cute!! The little pigs looked so cuddly. My 5 year old couldn’t get over how cute they were. 




From the pig races, we made our way to lunch and along the way there was so much to see! We saw Pumpkin Carver Arthur who was SO talented. Nearby, was the Harvest Knot Workshop with American Straw, they made amazing things with straw and you could even braid your own straw! We didn’t have time so we didn’t stay for that but it looked so cool. As we walked toward the market, there was a place where you could guess the weight of a pumpkin and win a prize. I entered but I’m not sure how close I was to the right answer at all haha.




My favorite part of the whole festival was the photo ops. For whatever reason, I think the cut out photo ops that you stick your head through are so fun. We definitely stopped for some pictures and someone was even nice enough to take a picture of all 4 of us. I love all the pumpkin and fall décor, it was so festive! From there we ate (I had Charlie’s of course!) and then walked around The Original Farmers Market.



There were a few things that we either couldn’t stop for or we missed completely. There was this cute petting zoo that my son really wanted to go to! The line though was just too long the entire time we were there. I never found the pumpkin patch or game zone, however, I believe that they were down the street from the petting zoo hence why I didn’t find them. Next year for sure! There was also quite a bit of live entertainment from bands to walk around performers. However, you might laugh, but I am the saddest about missing the pie eating contest! I think it would be so entertaining to watch and I somehow miss it every time we are at a place that has one. One of my goals for 2019 is to see a pie eating contest!



We had such a great time at the Fall Festival! I can’t wait until next year!

Are there any fall festivals that you’ll be going to this year? Tell me about it in the comments!  

18 comments:

  1. This looks like a really cool place! I also enjoy places with photo ops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get too long of a summer here in the South and I'm ready for it to cool down. At least you guys still get to experience some fall activities. It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I don’t think we are as hot as the South but it’s still supposed to be in the 80s here this week!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like so much fun! That pumpkin carving is amazing. It's always so interesting to see what they can do with a pumpkin. I attempted to carve one this year and no one can seem to figure out what I was going for. Womp, womp. Sierra Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I understand that! I’m pretty sure my 5 year old could carve better than me!

      Delete
  4. What an impressive market! Fall in California sounds the Fall in Florida. Except we don’t even get lower temps at night. We also have one big festival like this and it puts us in the fall spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the farmer's markets in our area! We even make a trip to one near our beach house when we are on vacation. There are so many fun things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! So many fun things! I like checking out farmers markets wherever I go on vacation. Quite a few years ago, we went to one in Florida while we were on vacation to Walt Disney World. I found the best beef jerky ever there.

      Delete
  6. What an fun place to visit!! I'm glad that it not only has history in and of itself, but that YOU have history there, too. Love those photo opps and I can only imagine how much fun the littles had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The history is so awesome! The littles had a lot of fun, especially watching the piggies. Next year, we will have to get to the petting zoo line early so we can go to it!

      Delete
  7. So fun! I love the farmer's market, too. It's such a great activity to do with the kiddos on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! And so easy too! When it gets closer to Christmas, they have a Holiday Open House where they will have activities and demonstrations. I’m looking forward to that!

      Delete
  8. Like you, we don't get much of the true Fall season either being in Florida. Your Fall Festival looks like a lot of fun! We enjoy going to Fall Festivals near us, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great time at your fall festivals!!

      Delete
  9. I used to live within walking distance of the Grove and Farmer's Market when I first moved to LA 13 years ago! My favorite thing to do on the weekends was get something to eat from one of the stalls at the Farmers Market and then stroll around. I don't recall there being a Fall Festival back then, so maybe it's a relatively new thing? In any case, looks like a lot of fun and makes me wish I still lived in that area! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t it the best? I think the festival must be relatively new as well because I don’t even remember them having it even 5 years ago.

      Delete