Friday, August 31, 2018

A Letter to my Son on his First Day of Elementary School


To my sweet little boy,

Today you embark on the beginning of your schooling. Though you have been in preschool and pre-k, you are in transitional kindergarten now and at what we have been calling “big boy school”. I always promised myself that I wouldn’t be emotional with such transitions and I would enjoy all your stages of life. But as I sit here, I think how are you almost 5 already and how are you already in elementary school? Seems like I just blinked. All those stereotypical sayings like “The days are long but the years are short and that is SO true. I feel like I will close my eyes and you will be in college! I wish time would slow just a bit.

Pre-K to TK 

For your school journey, I wish you many things. I wish you happiness. I hope you love learning and love school. I wish you challenging work, so that your mind will grow. I wish you friendship, lifelong friends that you can call when the going gets tough. Did you know I met your Godmother in Kindergarten? I wish for you knowledge, to know right from wrong, to know hardship and pain is temporary and to not let the pressures of school or your peers sway you too much. I wish you safety, with food allergies, it is another layer of worry and anxiety about keeping you safe.



I hope you will be many things. I hope you will be KIND. The world needs so much more kindness these days. I hope you will be a good friend, remember, everyone needs a friend. I hope you will be respectful, of your teachers, your friends and most of all to yourself.



You are a spitfire, my love, but so kind and everyone’s friend. For as hard as you play, you love equally as hard. May you never lose that. I am so proud of you, my little boy. You are one of my greatest adventures.

Love,
Mommy

10 comments:

  1. Aw this is so touching. They grow so fast it is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do! I can’t believe how fast it’s gone

      Delete
  2. What a sweet letter! It’s far away but I will absolutely do this when my daughter enters school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope he will look back at it and know how much I love him.

      Delete
  3. This is a very cute idea. I have a 3 year old who just started preschool. But I think I'd like to do this for him too when he enters kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really precious! I was a kindergarten teacher and I know how hard it is for parents to see their kids become more autonomous. I hope that you both have an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for your time as a teacher, it's such an important job!

      Delete
  5. you are making me feel all the feels with this post! Mine will go into kindergarten two years from now!

    ReplyDelete