Thursday, March 3, 2016

The unofficial inaugural Wine and Dine Half of a Half Marathon

This post is wayyyy overdue. As I mentioned in my last post, I was all set to get my Coast to Coast medal. The forecast was was unseasonably warm and calling for possible showers the night of the race but in Florida that could mean anything. Oliver did the 100m dash kids race in the morning and it was HOT! It was neat though, he got an unofficial coast to coast as he had done the kids races on both coasts. We were lucky enough to meet up with one of my friends from my Amazing Advevtures of the Disney MP Search group who has a little boy who shares a birthday with my son! 

We had spent the day at Animal Kingdom and I was worried I had spent too much time on my feet. I did get a chance to relax a little and put my feet up.

Before I knew it, it was time to go! I was meeting my cousin at Epcot and then we were riding the bus together to the ESPN Wide World of Sports. We sat and talked and then we started noticing lightening. It wasn't raining, but we were afraid it wasn't far behind. Soon, it was time to go to our corrals! As we were heading over there, it started sprinkling. It actually felt nice because it was humid. Then all of a sudden we hear the volunteers start saying: "This is a weather evacuation". There were roughly 14,000 runners and we all had to take cover due to lightening in the area. We sat around for a while and we knew there was a possibility that we wouldn't race at all. We were kinda bummed because we wanted our coast to coast and had flown across the country to get it. 

About 45 minutes later, we got the all clear! We were going to run! We had heard whispers of the course being shortened for the safety of the runners and the official distance ended up being 6.72 miles. I started in the front of the second to last corral. It was so exciting! The course had cut out the Animal Kingdom portion but we still got to see the part I was most excited about: the Osborne Family Lights. At about mile 2, I tripped and took a pretty hard fall on my knee. I was able to finish the race no problem, but I also did not look at my knees until the end. It hurt for a month afterwards but I was lucky it was not worse! 


At the end of the race, we still got our coast to coast medals. I did it! I achieved my goal! Next goal...maybe the Walt Disney World Marathon someday


No comments:

Post a Comment